BANANA BUCKWHEAT HEMP SEED WAFFLES
I was scrolling through my blog this weekend and I realized that I'd never posted the recipe for these waffles! I included them in the Christmas Brunch I hosted for my family, but never got around to sharing how I made them.
These take a little bit longer to make than some of the other breakfast recipes I've posted, so it's my favorite for making a big batch and freezing at the beginning of the week.
- 1 c. buckwheat flour
- 1 T coconut sugar (can omit, but obviously it's just a little bit better with it;)
- 1/4 c. hemp seeds
- 1 T ground flax seeds
- 1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt (1/8-1/4 tsp)
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 1/4 c. buttermilk (use 1 cp & 2 T almond milk + 1 T apple cider vinegar combined a bowl for 5 min to make)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 overripe banana, mashed
Make buttermilk first (almond milk + apple cider vinegar). Then, combine wet and dry ingredients separately, then combine. Ad to pregreased (with coconut oil) and hot waffle iron.
I made my toppings chocolate cherry! Added frozen cherries, drizzled Eating Evolved chocolate sauce, a handul of cacoa nibs, and Enjoy Life chocolate chips!
To thaw - do it Eggo style, just throw a frozen one in the toaster!
Inspired by and adapted from: Cookie & Kate's buckwheat pancake recipe